A large number of personal injury clients have had some type of injury in an earlier part of their life. But when you are injured again – whether you have a new injury or find that your old injuries are hurting again – can you still recover compensation? The law says yes, people can recover compensation if the accident aggravated a pre-existing condition or if the accident caused a new injury that is unrelated to the prior injury.
Aggravation of Old Injuries
A preexisting injury is considered “aggravated” if:
- You suffered an increase in temporary or permanent disability
- You needed additional medical treatments for your injury
- You needed a change in the course of your current medical treatment
Ways to Strengthen Your Claim If You Have Preexisting Injuries
Preparing a claim that involves a preexisting injury can be complicated in many ways. In order to maximize the effectiveness of your claim, it is important that you gather all your medical documents, undergo evaluations from your physicians, and contact an attorney if you need help.
If you are seeking compensation and have a preexisting injury, here are some tips to improve your claim:
- Always disclose your prior injuries to your doctor and attorney: Make sure that you inform your doctors and your attorney about your injuries so they can provide the right treatment and representation for your case.
- See a doctor: Immediately following your accident, you should have a doctor evaluate your condition. A doctor will be able to tell you if your injuries are related to the accident and whether it is related to your preexisting injury.
- Continue treatment: Missing treatment or failing to see a doctor will hurt your claim. Be sure to follow all of your doctor’s orders and follow through with your doctor’s treatment plan.
- Talk to an attorney: An attorney can evaluate your claim and help you prepare a strong case. As trained professionals who work on claims day in and day out, an attorney can protect you when dealing with insurers.
If you need help filing a personal injury claim, talk to our team of experienced Katy injury lawyers at Adams Law Firm. We are dedicated advocates who work hard to help our clients recover full and fair compensation for their injuries. Our team has experience dealing with insurers and representing clients who have had prior injuries. Learn more about your case and your options today.